In 1870, Congress appropriated $60,000 to buy a site and build a lighthouse near Mosquito Inlet in Volusia County. Within a few years the site was secured and an engineer was appointed for the construction. After naming the lighthouse Ponce Park, the engineer DROWNED in the inlet, but the lighthouse was completed in 1887. Within a few years a hotel was built nearby called the Ponce Park subdivision and President Theodore Roosevelt designated Mosquito Inlet a bird sanctuary. In 1928, the name was changed to Ponce de Leon Inlet and the town of Ponce Inlet was incorporated in 1963. The first town council was sworn in at the lighthouse office, which became the first Town Hall after the municipality leased the lighthouse property from the U.S. Government for $1 per year. Ponce Inlet has long since constructed a Town Hall and today the city is popular for its deep sea fishing charters, beaches and seafood restaurants. The Ponce Inlet Lighthouse is the second tallest in the U.S. and is still a prominent feature. The restored lighthouse and grounds are now a museum and park.